Saturday, September 21, 2013

Ben Has Arrived!!

Taylor was the first grandchild on my parents side.  Before she was born I asked my mom and dad what they wanted to be called as grandparents.  I told them the only options not available were Grammy and Papa because that is what Russ' nieces called his parents and I didn't want to have both sets of grandparents called the same thing.  So, my mom choose Gram and my dad Grampy.  When Taylor was born we had a Grammy and Papa and a Gram and Grampy.  It worked wonderfully until Taylor got to the point where she was starting to talk.  Instead of calling my dad Grampy she called him Papa.  Every time we corrected her she would insist he was Papa.  And when she tried to say Gram it came out sounding just like Ben.  None of us could figure out why it sounded so much like Ben but every time she said Gram it came out Ben.  So, as a joke we started to call my mom Ben.  And, unfortunately for my mom, it stuck.  So now, 11 years later we have a Grammy and Papa and a Ben and Papa.  My wonderful mom has gone with the flow and embraced the name Ben. 

We were very excited when my parents decided Ben was going to come over for a visit.  Unfortunately, when her plane arrived I had another commitment and I wasn't able to pick her up at the airport, but she had quite a welcoming committee there for her arrival.

 She arrived a few days ago and we haven't sat down since.  In the last three days she has gone to Lucy's class for a special lunch, rode the subway, visited a famous Korean palace, walked 3 miles along a river, hiked a mountain, met tons of my friends and shopped in a Korean produce market.
There is no time for jet-lag when you come to visit us, we just jump right in as soon as you get off the airplane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment